Site Links

  • Find accommodation
  • The Trossachs
  • The Villages and Towns in the Trossachs and Loch Lomond
  • The Trossachs
  • Cycling Routes in the Trossachs and Loch Lomond Area
  • The Trossachs
  • Places to fish in the Trossachs
  • The Trossachs
  • Golf Courses near Loch Lomond and The Trossachs
  • The Trossachs
  • walking routes in the Trossachs and Loch Lomond
  • The Trossachs
  • The Lochs of the Trossachs National park
  • The Trossachs
  • watersports in and around Loch Lomond and The Trossachs
  • The Trossachs
  • The hills and Mountains of the Trossachs and Loch Lomond
  • The Trossachs
  • The Clans of The Trossachs and Loch Lomond area
  • The Trossachs
  • Follow the Trossachs Whisky Trail
  • The Trossachs
  • The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park
  • The Trossachs
  • The History of Loch Lomond and The Trossachs
  • The Trossachs
  • win a short break to The Trossachs and Loch Lomond
  • The Trossachs
  • The latest news from the Trossachs
  • The Trossachs
  • Check out the local weather
  • The Trossachs
  • Some useful links
  • The Trossachs
  • Contact us
  • The Trossachs

Useful Sites

Sponsored Links

Welcome to The Villages in The Trossachs and Loch Lomond National Park

welcome to {village-name}

Strathyre means 'Sheltered Valley' in Gaelic.

 

Strathyre is situated on the shores of Loch Lubnaig 8 miles from Callander. An ideal location for those wishing to hike, climb or walk, Strathyre has paths, trails, open moor land and is situated near the mountain Beinn-ant-Sithean (Ben Shiann). This name derives from Gaelic meaning 'Mountain of the Fairies'. Loch Lubnaig and the nearby Loch Voil provide watersport activities such as open water canoeing.

 

The village is largely of Victorian creation having grown around the railway in the 1870s, and it is a popular tourist centre. It contains nearby caravan sites, canoeing, cycling and walking facilities. There is also a village shop and a post office. The village is easily accessible, lying on the east side of the A84, one of the main routes to the Highlands. Callander and Balquhidder are a few miles from the village and certainly worth a visit when staying in Strathyre.

Strathyre Forest is situated in an 'S' shaped glen that was forged during the last ice age by a glacier. Since the 1930's, the Forestry Commission has ensured that the breathtaking natural scenery of this glen has been preserved.

 

Historically, Strathyre has always been a stop of point for travellers, St Cuthbert and St Columba both stopped off here during their travels throughout Scotland. Strathyre was originally located on the west side of the River Balag and was moved to its current location on the east bank of the river, when the railway was developed in the 19th Century. The Buchanan monument commemorates Dugald Buchanan (1716-1788) a religious poet. It was built in 1883.

Strathyre has following facilities


View Strathyre in a larger map

Enjoy your stay