Deanston Distillery is situated in Perthshire just outside the village of Doune and was originally a cotton mill that has been converted. Opened in 1965, Deanston Distillery started with its first production in 1966. This makes the distillery one of the youngest in Scotland. Nowadays, Burn Stewart Distillers Ltd owns the distillery which is part of an internation conglomerate. Deanston Distillery produces its own energy by using turbines at a dam in River Teith a few miles from the distillery. Also the water used for the whisky is also from the River Teith.
About 15% of the whisky production is single malt and the other 85% is used for blends and malt liqueur. Some of the blends are “Scottish Leader” and “Black Bottle”. Other products that use Deanston Malt Whisky are “Drumgray Highland Cream Liqueur” and “Wallace Single Malt Liqueur”. The Highland Malt Whiskies are all un-chilled filtered and bottled at a strength of 46.3%.
Deanston Malt is relatively difficult to find. The most popular whiskies are Deanston Whisky 12 year old and Deanston Virgin Oak. The 12 year old whisky is round and sweet, fruity with flavours of citrus, sour apples as well as toffee, vanilla and honey.
Deanston distillery have recently opened and new Cafe, "The Coffee Bothy" with a good range of coffee and snacks and also have a great range of interesting tours on offer to visitors which they recommend are pre-booked to avoid dissapointment.
Deanston distillery can be reached easily as it is only a few miles west of Stirling in the village of Doune. Tours can be pre-booked by contacting the distillery directly by e-mail or phone.
- Deanston Virgin Oak - Fruity, caramel, honey and vanilla
- Deanston 12 Year Old - Soft, caramel, honey and vanilla
- Deanston 17 Year Old - Creamy toffy, barley, orange, hints of ginger
- Deanston 1967 - Creamy, honey, barley and walnut
- Deanston 10 Year Old 1992 - Ginger, malt and honey
Open for pre-booked tours. For Distillery contact information please Click Here