Welcome to The Villages in The Trossachs and Loch Lomond National Park
Crianlarich is historically a crossroads town and is situated at the junction of the two main routes between the Scottish Lowlands and the Highlands. The name 'Crianlarich' is derived from the Gaelic Chron laraich which means "low pass".
In the mid 18th century Crianlarich served as a meeting point for two military roads, one from Stirling through Callander and one from Dumbarton along the south shores of Loch Lomond. In the 19th century the first railway station appeared in Crianlarich, with the arrival of the Callander and Oban railway in 1873. This was followed by the arrival of the West Highland Railway from city Glasgow in 1894.
The Callander and Oban line was closed due to a landslide in the 1960's and Crianlarich is now host to just one railway station, which was recently refurbished. Crianlarich now lies on the path of two major footpaths for walkers: the West Highland Way, which passes through the village towards Fort William and the unofficial 'Coast to Coast Walk' from Oban to St Andrews.
Crianlarich also hosts magnificent views of the mountains lying to the south, particularly Cruach Ardrain. Despite at one point having two railway stations it is a very small village. Other features of the village include a charming little church, a post office, Crianlarich Hotel and a youth hostel. One fact that you might not know about Crianlarich is that there are more direction signs to the village than to any other place in the UK.
There is a good choice bed and breakfast and lodges with a couple of pubs catering for the many visitors that this small village attracts every year. The Crianlarich Hotel is privately owned and now operates under the banner of Best Western and has some lovely features in its interior with very a comfortable bar and restaurant and a large function hall suitable for a highland wedding.
Crianlarich has following facilities
View Crianlarich in a larger map
Enjoy your stay