Nestled at the foot of Ben Nevis, Britain’s highest mountain, is Ben Nevis Distillery. The distillery produces malt whiskies since 1825. With the water from “The Mill Burn”, the distillery produces 2,000,000 litres whisky a year. Established by “Long John” McDonald, the distillery is now in the hands of the owner Nikka, a company from Japan. Even though Ben Nevis Distillery used to produce both malt and grain whisky, only the production of malt whisky revived.
The distillery produces Highland single malts as well as blended whiskies. Its whiskies reach from Ben Nevis 8 year old to Ben Nevis 25 year old. The shop also sells a number of blended whiskies. Because of the different whiskies available it is difficult to describe general notes. However, one characteristic is the strong chocolate hints with a long finish. The Ben Nevis 10 year old single malt can be described as a taste of soft oils, citrus notes and a big oak on the malt. It has a long finish with hints of bitter roast coffee against the sweet oils.
The visitor centre is usually open Monday to Friday all year round between 9am and 5pm. However the opening times can vary depending on the season. Ben Nevis Distillery is situated near to Fort William and which has bus connections from Glasgow and several villages within the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.
- Ben Nevis “10 Years Old Single West Highland” Malt - Green, orange, nutty
- Ben Nevis “12 Year Old Deluxe” Blend - Smooth, gentle peatiness and matiness
- McDonald’s Glencoe “8 Year Old Vatted” Malt - Spicy and oily
- Ben Nevis “Special Reserve” Blend - Toffee, oak, peat with hints of fudge
- Ben Nevis “Supreme Selection” Blend - Cereal and grain taste, smoky, honey
- Ben Nevis “Blue Label” Blend
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm,
Easter to September: Sat 10am-4pm
July to August: Mon-Fri: pam-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sun 12pm-4pm,
October to Easter: by arrangement.
For Distillery contact information please CLICK HERE