Thornhill is an English name and one of the most common place names in Britain. Situated on an elevated position, Thornhill is an historic and attractive village with marvellous views across the Carse of Stirling (one of the largest flood plains in Scotland). So large were these plains that when the bogs were drained, remains of whales up to 25 metres long were found in the clay. Other remains found give evidence that Mesolithic people found plentiful supplies of shellfish, wildfowl and deer.
Founded in the aftermath of the 1745 rebellion to house displaced highlanders, Thornhill consists of a single main street with the masons hall (reputedly Scotlands smallest) at one end and the parish church at the other. Although the village has expanded it has managed to maintain its original 'austere' character.
Thornhill has two pubs, the Crown and The Lion and the Unicorn. The crown is currently closed. The Lion and the Unicorn dates back to 1635 and was once called The Commercial Hotel before it reverted back to its original name to reflect allegiance to King and country. It became the Lion and the Unicorn again in 1951 and the old bas-reliefs of a lion and a unicorn still exist on the front.
The Crown inn dates from the 1790s and the old B listed whitewashed stables to the rear are a reminder that it was once a staging post for coaches travelling between Stirling and Dumbarton.
Thornhill holds a craft and produce market every Wednesday morning from March to December.
Flanders Moss, part of the largest raised bog in Britain, exists just outside of Thornhill where you will see an abundance of beautiful plants and rare wildlife.